Who should make an appointment to register at the International Welcome Centre?

  • Kindergarten to Grade 12 students born outside of Canada, regardless of language spoken at home.
  • Kindergarten to Grade 12 students who were born in Canada, but whose home language is not English.

Do I need to bring my child with me when I come to register for school?

Your child is more than welcome to join you at your initial registration appointment, but they do not need to attend.  Please be advised the paperwork involved and information given may take up to 1 hour to complete. Your child may be scheduled for an intake assessment once registration is complete, or during your appointment depending on assessor availability.


We will arrive after the school year has started. Is there a deadline for registration? How soon can I register my child?

We offer continuous enrollment and register new students year-round. You can register your child for school as soon as you arrive in New Brunswick and have established a place of residence.  Occasionally, students who enroll after the school year has started may need to be accommodated in a school that is not their catchment school if there are space limitations until the beginning of the next school year.


Can I register my child if I don’t have all the documents?

Registration cannot be completed and your child will not be able to attend school until all relevant documents have been submitted


How old does my child need to be in order to register for Kindergarten?

Children must be five years old before the end of December to be eligible to start school in September of that calendar year.


How do I start the registration process?

Call or email the ASD-N International Welcome Centre to schedule a registration appointment. Please refer to the list of required documents and ensure you bring all necessary paperwork with you to your appointment. 


Can I register my child by telephone, fax or email?

The ASD-N International Welcome Centre does not accept registration applications by telephone, fax, or e-mail.  Parents must register in person at the International Welcome Centre (or designated site) as IWC staff need to verify the authenticity of original documentation.  Documents that are written in a foreign language need to be translated into English and notarized. The processing time for your child’s file may be delayed if any documents are missing.

What can I expect to happen at my registration appointment?

  • We will check to ensure your children are eligible to study in an ASD-N school by looking at immigration documents.
  • We will help you with the filling out of school registration forms.
  • We will share information with you about our schools and our programming.
  • We will/may schedule an intake language assessments for any of your children who will enter school.
  • We will arrange for your child’s entry to their new school and schedule the school start date.


Why do I have to register my child at the Newcomer Support Centre?

We want to provide families with a welcoming transition to school in the Anglophone North School District.  In addition, we need to ensure that all students have the necessary legal status in Canada to attend publicly funded education in New Brunswick. We schedule a language assessment and want to learn about the prior schooling history of your children to determine if additional supports are required to ensure your child is successful in their new school.  



Do all my documents need to be translated into English?

All documents must be translated into English before registering and translations must be certified by a professional translator.


What does “proof of address” mean?

You must provide proof that you have a permanent residence within Anglophone North School District (ASD-N). If you are renting an apartment or house, you can bring your lease agreement. If you own your home, you can bring your New Brunswick Property Tax Assessment or a copy of your Purchase and Sale Agreement. You can also provide a recent utility bill or bank statement with your name and address on it.


I do not have a permanent address yet. Can my child start school?

You must confirm a permanent residence before you can register your child for school in New Brunswick.  If you have signed a rental agreement or purchased a home for a future date, you can register for school before you have officially moved in. Your child will be registered in the school located in the catchment area of your new home. Parent(s)/guardian will be responsible for transportation until they have moved into the new home.


What documents are required to register my child for a school in ASD-N?

View the Pre-Registration Student Data Collection Form and Documentation Checklist for required documents (please note, pre-registration form must be completed and sent back prior to recieving and appointment)

Pre-Registration Student Data Collection Form
Documentation Checklist


Which school my child will attend?

Your child will attend the catchment school within that school’s boundary of where you live provided there is space available.


How do you determine which grade my child will go into?

Students are normally placed in their age appropriate grade level. Please refer to chart below.

Grade placement based on age of the student as of December 31st






























International students are usually placed in a regular academic program and may receive English as an Additional Language (EAL) support based on assessment results and available programs.


What happens if my child knows little or no English?

Your child’s English language skills will be assessed at the ASD-N International Welcome Centre through our intake assessments. Extra language support is available through trained tutors and will be provided as needed.

All Anglophone North School District (ASD-N) Elementary and Middle Schools have English as an Additional Language (EAL) tutors available to support student needs. All ASD-N High Schools have EAL classes or access to EAL tutors who support language acquisitions. The degree of support varies based on individual needs.


Do all elementary schools have an ELL program?

All elementary schools have EAL tutor support services. Tutor support is based on the child’s individual needs so it may look different in each school.


Do all high schools have an ELL program?

Dalhousie High School, Sugarloaf High School, Bathurst High School, Miramichi Valley High School and James M. Hill High School all have EAL classes. Our other three high schools have EAL tutor support as required. 


What do I need to do If my child has a special learning need?

If your child has special learning needs, bring all available medical records, psycho-educational assessments, Personalized Learning Plans (PLPs) and Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) to the ASD-N International Welcome Centre when you register your child. If you do not have these records, we will ask you to sign a form giving us permission to request them. We will send these records to your child’s school principal who will work with you to identify required support systems to support your child. Please be advised the registration may take longer to process for a student with Special Needs to insure appropriate supports are in place prior to his/her arrival at their school.