Posted: September 24, 2018
The annual Fall Harvest will feature the APEGNB Pumpkin Fling and is hosted by the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of New Brunswick in partnership with Sunny Corner Enterprises and NBCC Miramichi. This event allows APEGNB to promote engineering in a fun and creative way.
At 1:00pm, a special contest for schools only, is the catapult contest for both a trophy and cash prize of $750, $500 or $250. There is also a $250 prize for the best school spirit award. Cash prizes go to the schools to support STEM learning initiatives
2017 saw a total of ten schools from Anglophone North School District and one from Anglophone East take part in the 2nd Annual ASD-N Catapult Challenge.
This year there are four schools returning to defend their titles:
- The MVHS Pulamoo Pumpkin Projectiles looking for their third straight 1st place victory
- The Tabusintac Tornadoes: claiming 2nd in 2017
- The Max Aitken Makers (back this year as Max Power): taking 3rd in 2017
Also looking for their third straight year, the Miramichi Rural Sharks claiming best School Spirit.
2018 competitors looking to dethrone last year’s winners are:
- Blackville’s BHS Eagles
- Dalhousie Middle School’s Here for a Gourd Time
- Gretna Green Superstars
- Terry Fox Catapulters
- Dr. Losier’s Losier Launchers
- Janeville Elementary’s Sharp Sharks
- Nelson Rural’s Nelson Raiders
- Parkwood Heights Parkwood Pumpkineers
- King Street Elementary’s The King of Fling
- Campbellton Middle School’s Pumpkin Flingers
In addition to the catapult competition the engineers of APEGNB will have all of their usual Family-Fun attractions on site. As well, returning for 2018, the highlight of the day, the Pumpkin Cannon which allows those in attendance to blast pumpkins toward a target in the middle of the Miramichi River. Continuing in this year’s schedule is also the annual Autism Walk.
We hope to see you out to cheer your school on to victory!